jueves, 9 de junio de 2011

Jem's Journal Entry

The trial of Tom Robinson happened today. Me, Dill, and Scout went to go watch it. Atticus didn’t really want us to go, but we really wanted to see it, so we went to watch anyway. We were invited to sit with Reverend Skyes on the balcony in the colored section. When the trial started and these people on the witness stand like Bob Ewell began saying bad words and when Mayella described what Tom did to her, Reverend wanted me to take Scout home, but I wasn’t gonna miss any of this trial. I ended up telling him that Scout wasn’t old enough to understand.

Anyway, Atticus was on a roll. He was talking about how Tom is bein’ charged with rape on circumstantial evidence and everything. I thought for sure that we had won, but when the jury came in, they didn’t even look at Tom; that’s when I knew we had lost. And I was right; the jury’s verdict was guilty. I practically burst into tears. It just isn’t fair! Just because tom is a colored man, and it’s a black man’s word versus a white girls’, they all believe Mayella. I bet Tom did nuthin’, and that man, Bob Ewell hurt Mayella and she’s just scared of what will happen to her if she told the truth. She should be ashamed of herself!

Lots of folks around Maycomb County are sad about how it all turned out. Like: me, Dill, Scout, Atticus, Calpurnia, Miss Maudie, and a whole bunch of other people. Aunt Alexandra doesn’t really care, she’s just mad that we went to go see the trial.

Anyway, I hope Tom will be alright. He’s just a run-of-the-mill guy who was trying to help out and do what he can to support him and his family. Atticus is trying to cheer me up by giving me a football magazine, but suddenly, I’m not interested anymore. Atticus says it’s not time to worry yet, but I can’t help it, I’m very worried.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario